Friday, August 29, 2008

NH Commission on the Status of Men

Today I was invited (encouraged might be a better term) to attend the monthly meeting of the New Hampshire Commission on the Status of Men (NH-CSM). I have had very few opportunities in my life to observe first-hand the workings of government commissions. I must say, at the very least it was educational.

Beyond the pedagogical value, though, I have to say it is 3-1/2 hours of my life (and subsequent lost wages) that I would dearly like to have back. Admittedly, attendance was light owing to the fact that it was Friday before Labor Day Weekend. And the members (to the best of my knowledge) are all volunteers. But really: when you have invited the UNH economists (hired by the state to review the costs of raising a child) to come to the Commission meeting so the Commission can give input, one would expect the Chair at least to arrive on time. In fact, he did not show until nearly the end of their presentation, even though the Secretary held off starting the meeting for over 20 minutes.

After the economists made their pitch, got lots of input from Commissioners (mere commoners like my self were not permitted to provide our input... presumably the Commission will let us do that in public hearings after the economists have more or less finished their work), and left, the meeting settled down to the "agenda". (45 minutes elapsed, plus initial 20-minute start delay)

The first item was a discussion of the acceptance of the previous meeting's minutes, which rat-holed into a discussion on hiring an intern, which then got tabled because one of the Commissioners wanted to discuss it later as a separate issue so it would get recorded in the current meeting minutes. We got to hear at least three times from Commissioner David Lauren how he was not present at the previous meeting, and thus did not participate in the original discussion on hiring a college intern. This did not prevent him from raising the concern that it might not be possible, and that they should inquire of the AG what, if any, liability issues might exist for the Commission in hiring one. All this before tabling the discussion for later in the meeting. Acceptance of minutes motioned and seconded. (15 minutes)

Now that the meeting was officially underway, the topic turned to the issue of hiring a college intern to serve as a adjunct member of the Commission (I kid you not; I couldn't make this stuff up). Mr. Lauren reiterated liability, and discussion was tabled until a definitive answer could be gotten from the AG.

Some other stuff was probably also talked about, but I was kind of getting bored, and distracted as I was concerned that I had only put 1:42 minutes on the parking meter (all the change I had on me), and time was about up. (Figure another 15 minutes killed).

Now the reason I came in the first place: Jeff Oligny of NCFC-NH (National Congress of Fathers and Children - NH chapter) was given the floor to pitch his idea for a joint info billboard between NCFC and the CSM. Purpose of this billboard would be to provoke an emotional reaction from viewers, and hopefully spur them to find out more about the family law problems in the State. Comments from the Commissioners ensued. (Pitch 30 Minutes; comments 30 minutes before I left. No, I didn't get a ticket even though the meter ran out almost an hour earlier. Gotta love NH!)

And this was where the Commission really showed what a useless group of talking heads they are. Everyone said "what a great idea", and then they all basically made "improvement" suggestions that basically completely changed the intent of the message. Here are some:

"The image might be *too* provocative. It might provoke the wrong reaction in people"

"The CSM could not put their name on a message inciting change to the Family Court without first contacting the Court with their grievances. Otherwise, they would be incorrectly crossing government boundaries"

"Since they are a government body, the CSM would have to ascertain the legality and potential liability before they could agree to endorsing the billboard" (guess who raised that issue?)

"The child's message should be more positive and express results; e.g. 'Mom, thanks for letting me have a relationship with my Dad'" (I kid you not. from Commissioner Scott Meyer; and he's supposedly on *our* side! Give me a break!)

Don't get me wrong: I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mike Geanoulis and all he has done to further reform in this state, and Dave Bickford (who was also attending today) as well. I have never met Scott Garman, but he seems reasonable. But I was shocked and insulted at the ludicrous comments made by Mr. Meyer about the poster; he is clearly missed the point of the billboard, and leads me to believe he is clueless about what the real issues are facing fathers and children as well. And it appears Mr. Lauren has paralyzed the Commission into inaction by raising the spectre of liability at every suggestion, then refering resolution to the AG's offoce.

Finally, throughout the meeting, hints were made that the Commission would like input from the public. I did not however see anything on the agenda that would indicate that the several members of the public-at-large in attendance would be given the opportunity to speak. In all fairness, I departed to save my car from the meter maids before the meeting was over, so there may have been an opportunity at the end.

If this meeting at all exemplifies the glacial activity of the Commission, it is no wonder that they have accomplished virtually nothing in the nearly five years they have been around. Winter's almost here. I think in the coming months, it would be more productive of me to watch icecles melt than attend another of these public meetings.

No comments: